Why women choose liposuction?
- Emotional issues arising out of obesity
- Inability to wear a particular type of dress
- Changing cultural values and social trends towards western outfits
- Changing work profiles
- Physical activity such as gym, exercise
Different Areas for Liposuction in Women
Special Features of Liposuction in Women
- In Indian women, who are traditionally shy, liposuction on thighs and buttocks by a male surgeon is an issue, as local anesthesia is used and the patient is conscious.
- The timing of surgery has to suit the needs of the family, children, menstrual cycle etc.
- More appointments during school holidays or when husband or mother in law is away.
- Women expect to return to work quickly and are apprehensive of adverse effects.
- Frequent post-operative visits not easy.
- Multiple sessions are preferred for different areas
- Mega Liposuction not preferred.
Pregnancy following liposuction does not reverse the effects of liposuction, according to studies.
Stretch marks and Liposuction
- Liposuction patients may have extensive stretch marks.
- These need separate management with fractional laser or micro needle RF
Breast enlargement after liposuction – DOES IT HAPPEN?
- In over 400 abdominal liposuction in women, we have not noticed breast enlargement as a side effect.
- However, we agree with the hypothesis that altered androgen to estrogen ratio after liposuction may occur.
- We have noticed a number of women report breakthrough menstrual bleeding after liposuction.
Why Liposuction for your Breasts
- Pain, embarrassment, psychological problems
- Pain in neck, spine
- Dress issues
- Mammogram is a must in all patients
Issues for future breast MILK secretion
- Needs to be counseled
- Excessive liposuction is to be avoided
Liposuction and Poly-Cystic Ovarian Disease
- We have observed that in women with PCOS, liposuction can facilitate the further loss of weight and lead to improvement in the underlying condition.
- We have noted infertile women with PCOD, who have conceived after liposuction.
- Studies have shown improvement in metabolic profile following liposuction.
- Better insulin sensitivity.
Liposuction and exercise
- We have observed that women tend to exercise more after liposuction and reduce weight more than what is expected from surgery.
- Perhaps reduced weight facilitates exercise.
- Perhaps the broken down fat is easier to remove.
- Motivation may be better after surgery.
- Liposuction is an extremely valuable procedure in women.
- It is safe and free from serious adverse effects.
- Emotional and cultural issues need to be addressed.